Home Improvement Ideas to Improve the Value of Your Home
Does your home meet the needs of prospective buyers? This is a question you need to ask yourself before putting up your home for sale. When thinking of selling your house, it is important to ensure that it meets the market you are targeting. One of the ways of adding value to your property is by introducing various home improvements. These include the following:
- Converting the loft – While there are many home improvements that will generate incredible interest in your home, there are those that will generate huge returns. According to valuers, loft conversions are considered among those improvements that are guaranteed to give you value for your money. This is because they are used to add another room and when there is more space, your property is not only more attractive but also has a high value.
- Build and extension – Building an extension is an expensive and ambitious undertaking yet quite rewarding. Adding extra footage to your property is an excellent way of adding value. You only need to ensure that your extension plans are in line with your property’s style. In addition, the extension should add a space that is functional.
- Add an extra bedroom – Whether you convert or extend an existing space, you may be tempted to add an additional bedroom. This is known to have a satisfying effect that might increase the value of your property by up to 11 percent. Ultimately, you need to take into account proportions of your home so that you do not cram additional bedrooms when they are not actually needed. Thus, you will do well to think about the potential market before making any changes.
- Open up space – Open plan living is a trend that is not going away anytime soon. In fact, having a house with lots of natural light, a sociable cooking space as well as a luxurious living area will definitely appeal to all kinds of buyers. Even then, you need to be careful so as not to be carried away. Get professionals to ensure that you do not bash down load bearing walls.
- Central heating – Having central heating fitted is perhaps not the most inspiring project but a must do when renovating your property. Though the other improvements may go wrong, a modern boiler and central heating are guaranteed to be not only a selling point but also a value-adding project. In fact, they can add the value of your home by up to 13 percent hence are worth taking into account. Having a high efficiency boiler will particularly attract green buyers.
You can improve the value of your property before selling by considering some of the improvements discussed above. However, caution must be taken so as not to spend so much on these home improvement projects so that you are unable to sell your home for a profit. In fact, you will do well to work closely with home improvement experts who also have knowledge of the property market so that they can guide you on which way to go.
5 Home Improvements that Add the Most Value to your Home
Although there are many home improvements that homeowners can consider before selling your property, the most important thing is to determine which improvements give the best return for your property. On average, home improvements have the potential of adding up to 10 percent to the value of the home.
According to a survey done on the value of different home improvements, it was established that when well done, improvements have the potential of adding up to £30,000 to property. Consequently, some improvements can add more than double the return of other improvements.
This means that you need to choose the improvements you will undertake on your property carefully. Here are some of the top home improvements that will add the most value to your home:
- Conservatory – This provides additional room in the home at the expense of some garden space. You do not need planning permission as is with an extension as long as no more than half of the area of the land of the original house is covered. When putting up a conservatory, you are also exempt from rules on fire safety and structure usually referred to as building regulations if half of the new wall as well as three quarters of the roof is translucent material or glazed and if external doors from the house separate the conservatory. Generally, the return on investment for a conservatory is 108 percent.
- Garden – During winter, it is easy to forget about the garden and let it become messy and overgrown, However, the front garden is what a potential buyer sees when they come to view the house hence dead plants and a tatty lawn will influence the first impression. Besides, a garden that is taken care of well will give the home a modern and welcoming feel. A well-tended garden has a return on investment potential of up to 88 percent.
- Exterior – Just like the garden, the exterior of your property is among the first things buyers will see when they come to your property. Chipped doorframes, dirty windows and broken roof tiles will leave a bad impression that will affect the price you will get. You will do well to clean, fix any cracks outside and paint the exterior, as this will make a huge difference. An exterior that taken care of well has a return on investment potential of up to 75 percent.
- Extension – Extensions are an excellent way of introducing additional space to your property. This may be through expansion of a room or adding more. When done well, extensions will add up to 71 percent of your property’s value.
- Roof – If buyers have to fix the roof of your home once they purchase, then chances are they will try to push the price down. To avoid this, you will do well to ensure your roof is well maintained, there are no leaks and it is well insulated in good condition. The return on investment for roofing improvements is 63 per cent.
Numerous other home improvements can be undertaken with a return on investment potential of 50 per cent or less. They include the carpet, loft, kitchen and bathroom. Ultimately, all home improvement ideas add value to your property thus; you will need to evaluate how much these improvements will cost against their return on investment before undertaking to incorporate them on your home.
Things to Consider When Renovating Your Kitchen
Your kitchen is the hub of your home. It is where your meals are prepared. If your kitchen is large enough, it is likely that you have a seating area where the family can sit down for a meal. Being that area of the home where people spend a lot of time, it is only right to make it a comfortable and inviting place. As such, you may want to consider renovating your kitchen after some time to with Kitchens Direct. Here are some things you will need to consider:
- Determine the end result you want to achieve
Renovating a kitchen is more than just improving the aesthetics. You also need to think of better utilization of the existing space. Renovation should also cater to certain lifestyle needs and add functionality to your kitchen. Set clear goals before you start and ensure that the contractor knows what you wish to achieve from the onset.
- Have a vision for the finished project
Before you start with the actual renovation, be sure to collect samples of materials and colors you intend to use. Thankfully, home improvement companies such as Kitchens Direct run a free sample service that allows customers can have sample pieces of materials delivered to them to help them in their selection process. The worst mistake you can do is to keep improvising as the project continues. If you need any ideas, help is available from an expert at the store.
- Avoid the latest fad
Interior design trends do not hang around long enough and what is in vogue today will become outdated within a short time. To avoid having to remodel your kitchen every time something new is in style, choose a classic design. The best place to look for renovating ideas is in home and garden magazines. You can also go online and check out blogs and lifestyle magazines. You may also speak to the knowledgeable home improvement staff at Kitchens Direct to provide you with excellent ideas.
- Attention to details
Paying attention to details will ensure that the result of your renovation is something that you can look upon with pride. You do not need to leave it to your contractor to decide on what needs to be added to ensure the best outcome. Thus, consider things such as draining solutions, the choice of splash back as well as whether to choose under mount or top mount sinks.
- Design around appliances
It is vital to find out enough information about your selection of kitchen appliances like oven, microwave, fridge and dishwasher because their dimensions will affect your kitchen’s layout. Experts at Kitchens Direct will advise you to ensure that you leave just the required amount of space if you want to avoid unattractive gaps around your appliances.
- Think about Lighting
When renovating or constructing a new kitchen, lighting plays a very important part in the whole process. To light up your kitchen, it is best to install three levels of light, which include recessed lights, under-cabinet strip lighting and hanging lights. All these types of lighting have their own unique function in your kitchen. A well-lit kitchen will also be a safe place to work in.
- Have a Budget
You need to have a budget before you begin renovating your kitchen. Having a small budget does not mean that your renovations efforts cannot look spectacular. You can shop affordable fixtures and fittings than can go a long way in ensuring the success of your kitchen remodeling efforts at Kitchens Direct.
Renovating your kitchen requires having a well thought out plan as opposed to having a haphazard execution. Ultimately, take time to research extensively because renovating your kitchen is an investment that should pay off.
How Do Ready Steady Sell Differ From Other Quick Sale Companies?
Submit The Form Below For A
Cash House Offer In 30 Seconds
Latest Property News
Independent Reviews - What Customers Say About Us
We Have Been Buying Property In The UK Since 2002
Get A Guaranteed Fast House Sale Today
Sell your house for cash with a guaranteed sale in 7 - 14 days!
freephone now 0800 612 6957
Copyright © 2004-2017 Way Of The Website Limited. All Rights Reserved.
"Ready Steady Sell", "RSS", and "Readysteadysell.co.uk" are trading styles of Way of the Website Limited.
Head Office Address: Office 1, Team Valley Business Centre, Team Valley Trading Estate NE11 0QH | Company Registration No: 10041044
We aim to provide you with access to the best possible solution to selling your home quickly. This often means we must pass your details to a third party to assist with your home sale. You are free to opt out of any marketing we do or our partners do at any time.
Disclaimer: We do not provide any financial advice. Ready Steady Sell works with regulated property brokers whom have the ability to purchase your property for cash. Our service is free and you are under no obligation to accept the quotes you receive from our partner companies. You may be contacted by regulated firms that can help you sell your house quickly.