Finding an estate agent to sell your property quickly can be a difficult undertaking that requires you to take your time before making a decision.
One of the things that you need to find out before signing an estate agent agreement is who they really are. While this may seem obvious, it carries a lot of weight. For instance, you will need to check the following in a bid to know the estate agent:
- Find out the duration it takes the agent to sell property they have listed in their books
- Check their track record in achieving the asking price and the likelihood of them selling a home
- Determine their performance by comparing them against other agents with the help of online estate agent comparison tools
- Get them to explain the reasoning behind the valuation they have given for your property
- Find out if they have any qualifications in sales of estate agency and if they profess membership to a professional trade association like the Guild of Professional Estate Agents or the National Association of Estate Agents
- Do they subscribe to an accredited ombudsman service?
- What are their working terms with regard to working during weekends?
- How will they market your property and what marketing options do they have?
- What are the agreement terms and what fees is involved?
There are many other things that you need to look up before signing up with an estate agent. Furthermore, you must not lose sight of the fact there are some unscrupulous estate agents that employ unacceptable tactics to either get business or make more money.
Thus, you need to be on the lookout for estate agent traps so that you do not become a victim of estate agent malpractices. This way, you will avoid the process of having to go through the agency’s dispute resolution mechanism.